Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A sharp turn forced my bed to quickly jerk to the left. I laid on a firm bed in a bright white box. The sound of sirens filled the enclosed space and three paramedics sat around me, asking me as many questions as pain killers they were shooting in my vain. I felt no pain but was informed I had suffered severe head trauma and multiple broken bones. One of the paramedics informed me we were on our way to the hospital; but I just nodded my head and smiled, an obvious sign that the pain killers had taken over my brain. Just before we got to the hospital I was to receive one more shot. The paramedic raised the needle….”Oh!” I shouted. The cold sharp legs of creature slowly crept up my ashy skin. I jumped from my sleep and swatted off the surprisingly large bug. I heard it scamper of to safety, hurt and limp. I took a whiff of the cold air and caught a scent of the old stale couch at the Jaguar. I guess I had gotten so drunk the night before I forgot I came back to sleep here. I got to get out of this habit, I thought to myself. I would much rather sleep over at one of my friends houses.
With all this thought over bugs and sleep I almost forgot it was the day of the week when I meet with Jacen. We like to meet at the playground and talk about life and the challenges we both face everyday overcoming blindness.
When five o’clock rolled around Louis and I walked through the light snow to the playground where I searched for my favorite park bench that moans every time I sit on it. It was not long before Jacen arrived and we immediately jumped into a conversation. I could not help but bring up my dreams of my near fatal accident. As our conversation progressed the snow picked up and I could feel the cold melted snow seeping through the fibers of my jacket. Jacen and I decided to go to the Diner and finish our conversation. As we continued talking a unified “Awe” came from the mouths of all the other customers. Jacen and I were soon informed that the power had gone out. Of course we had know idea given the fact that neither one of us could see. But the situation was quite different for me than her. I had not been blind my whole life. I knew what it was like to see. And how people don’t take it for granted until all the lights are turned off. God, if it was not for that damned drunk driver my life would be so different now.

No comments:

Post a Comment